Mac Split Screen as the name suggests theoretically splits your screen into two halves and let you view two apps side by side at the same time. This is quite a handy feature for every tech buff, as well as for a normal user too. We throw a lot of tasks to them which they do simultaneously.
Steps to set up and use Split Screen in Mac?
Siri can give us perfect answer about and what did it say: “A split-screen is a display technique in computer graphics that consists of dividing graphics and/or text into typically two or four rectangular areas. It is been done in order to allow the simultaneous presentation of related graphical and textual information on a computer display.”
How to Set up Split Screen in Mac?
If you ever interacted with Windows-based systems then you may already aware of its working. And even if you are new to Mac system like me and looking for how to set up a split-screen into Mac then just follow my leads.
- Open Apps that you want to see in a split view. (This can be browser windows, Notepad, Excel sheets, etc). Start working with any one of them say with notes.
- Check on the left upper corner for active window control buttons (green, yellow and red).
- Move the cursor onto the green window button (you will see that it is denoting two triangles opposite to each other to maximize the window).
- By keeping the mouse on this green (maximize) button, hold down mouse or trackpad for 2-3 second until the window expands a little bit.
- Now release the mouse then the window will adjust to the left side of the screen.
- Next, you will see the other application auto-adjusted themselves to the right half of the screen.
- You can also adjust screens according to your convenience by dragging the slider left or right side.
- Please note that you don’t need to click on the green button if you are inside the split view.
Which of Apps Supports Split Screen?
Though most of the business, messaging or music apps do support the split-screen view, but there are some apps, games or hardware related interface still won’t work. Example: Face Time, Youtube, DVD Player are some of the common applications that don’t work with this screen view in full extent.
Can We Resize Apps in Split View?
You can resize app views in the split-screen view. To resize split-view screen on Mac, you need to drag the slider right or left depending upon how much you want one app to cover the area.
This feature allows you to set the working screen big and referring screen small or in vice versa according to your working convenience.
What is Mission Control App in Mac?
Mission control app in Mac used to keep all opened window separated and let you work on your active task. The app positions all open apps automatically which was not available until OSX El Captain update. You can see this app from the following path:
- Go to Mac Finder
- Tap on Application > and search for Mission control app.
- Alternatively, press either Control+Up Arrow(⇑) or slide three fingers from bottom to top on the magic trackpad.
Steps to Exit from Split Screen View in Mac?
In case you want to exit from split-screen view in Mac, press the “maximize” button or of your active window screen. It will automatically bring the application in the default view and keep it on top of other apps. Alternatively, you can press the “ESC” button form the Mac keyboard.
Third-Party Apps for Mac Split Screen
We have also jotted down several third-party applications that do the aforementioned task. While some of the apps that offer split-screen and more additional features, are Split Screen and Magnet. These paid apps come with several pre-loaded functions like;
- Resize window Left/Right.
- Resize window full screen.
- Any sixth-combination on ultra-wide screens. and many more.
- Support keyboard shortcuts.