The Micro SD card is one of the most commonly used storage media for users to store applications, programs, files, music or other data. However, you might need a Micro SD card formatter to format it in the following situations.
- When the SD card turns into the RAW file system, formatting is also an effective way to repair the raw drive.
- Before you lend your Micro SD card to your friends, or you need to share it with others, you had better format it to protect your private information.
- When the card is damaged for no reasons, or it is write-protected, you can try to format it to solve such issues.
- When the SD card is full and you want to free up disk space for new data, you need to format it.
General ways to format Micro SD card in Windows
To format SD card or another hard drive, you can use Disk Management, File Explorer or Diskpart, all of which are general ways to format micro SD card in Windows 10/8/7.
In Disk Management and File Explorer, you need just right click the target drive and choose “Format…” option, and choose a proper file system in the subsequent window, then follow the guide to finish the formatting process. In Diskpart, you need to run the complicated commands: diskpart->list disk->select disk <disk number of the Micro SD card>->list partition->select partition #->format fs=fat32 quick, or you can replace fat32 with NTFS or exFAT instead.
Common Micro SD Card format error you may encounter
However, sometimes you cannot format Micro SD card via the general ways in Windows, and many formatting errors might occur. Below is a list of the common Micro SD card format errors you might meet.
When you format it in Windows Explorer, the SD card format did not complete successfully and popped out an error message “Windows was unable to complete the format”.
When you try to format an SD card, which is larger than 32 GB, to FAT32 in Diskpart, you may receive the virtual disk service error “the volume size is too big”.
Free download the best Micro SD card Formatter
Although you might meet some unexpected issues when trying to format Micro SD card in Windows, do not panic! we have several other ways for you to perform a successful format there. The easiest and most efficient way is to use a reliable Micro SD card formatted software. In order to save your time and energy, here we recommend AOMEI Partition Assistant (supporting all versions of Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista).
- First of all, it allows you to format a large disk (over 32GB) to FAT32 smoothly.
- Then Secondly, it can help you format corrupted SD card in Windows computer.
- Third, it is able to directly format write-protected disk instead of clearing the write protection attribute first and then formatting it.
- What’s more, it comes with “check bad sector” function, which enables you to repair corrupted SD card without formatting.
Steps of formatting Micro SD card via the AOMEI Partition Assistant
Before proceeding to the steps, please micro SD card formatter software free download, and back up everything you need since the formatting process will destroy all data on the target SD card.
- Connect the Micro SD card to Windows PC, install and launch AOMEI Partition Assistant, right-click the card and choose “Format partition”.
- In the pop-out mini window, you can edit the label as you like in the “Partition Label” box, select the NTFS, FAT32, Ext2 or Ext3, Ext4, exFAT file system.